Raaj Kumar (8 October 1926–3 July 1996), born Kulbhushan Pandit, was an actor. He labored as sub-inspector of Mumbai Police within the late Forties earlier than he turned to appearing with the 1952 movie Rangeeli. He appeared within the Oscar-nominated 1957 movie Mom India and went on to star in over 70 Hindi movies in a profession that spanned over 4 many years.
Raaj Kumar made his appearing debut within the 1952 movie Rangili and appeared in movies like Aabshar, Ghamand and Lakhon Mein Ek, nevertheless it was as Prince Naushazad in Sohrab Modi’s Nausherwan-E-Adil (1957) that he turned well-known. In 1957, he achieved prominence along with his transient function because the husband of Nargis in Mom India. He adopted this with the unglamorous function of a mill employee in Paigham (1959) alongside Dilip Kumar. He was forged with Sunil Dutt, Shashi Kapoor and Balraj Sahni in Yash Chopra’s household drama Waqt. In Sridhar’s Dil Ek Mandir, Raaj Kumar performed the function of a most cancers affected person for which he received the Filmfare Award within the Finest supporting actor class for films Dil Ek Mandir and Waqt. He turned identified for his distinct fashion of dialogue supply.
His different notable movies included Hamraaz (1967), Heer Raanjha (1971), Lal Patthar (1971) and Pakeezah (1972). He acted in fewer movies by the mid Seventies and have become a personality actor within the Nineteen Eighties with movies like Kudrat (1981), Ek Nai Paheli (1984), Marte Dam Tak (1987), Muqaddar Ka Faisla (1987) and Jung Baaz (1989). In 1991, he reunited with Dilip Kumar after 32 years in Subhash Ghai’s Saudagar and appeared within the 1992 hit movie Tirangaa. His final movie look was in 1995’s God & Gun.
From his display screen debut in Rangili in 1952 to his final movie God & Gun in 1995, he performed memorable characters in 70-odd movies.
In the present day on the birthday of Bollywood’s ‘Jaani’ i.e. Rajkumar. Similar to Rajkumar was on display screen, he was additionally in his private life. Completely fearless. Rajkumar acted in lots of movies however all the time on his personal phrases. What they didn’t like, they didn’t do it. Even when you must go away the movie.
On his beginning anniversary, let’s take a look at 10 attention-grabbing issues about him which only a few individuals know.
- Within the 12 months 1940, Rajkumar got here to Mumbai. At the moment Mumbai was Bombay. He began working as a sub-inspector within the police on this metropolis. The police station the place Rajkumar was working was typically visited by individuals related to the movie trade. As soon as within the police station, filmmaker Baldev Dubey had come for some pressing work. The 2 talked and Rajkumar instantly resigned and have become a hero.
- Throughout a flight, Rajkumar met Jennifer, who was a flight attendant. Later, Jennifer married Rajkumar. After marriage, Jennifer modified her identify to ‘Gayatri’.
- Raaj Kumar was born in Pakistan to a Kashmiri Pandit, his actual identify was Kulbhushan Nath Pandit.
- Kumar began his appearing profession with the 1952 movie Rangili.
- The veteran actor labored in additional than 70 Hindi movies. His 1957 movie Mom India was Oscar-nominated.
- Raj Kumar labored in movies for 4 many years and gave many hits.
- Rajkumar performed the function of a most cancers affected person within the movie ‘Dil Ek Mandir’.
- He additionally acquired the Filmfare Award for Finest Supporting Actor for this function
- Raj Kumar and Dilip Kumar didn’t get together with one another. However after 30 years each of them labored collectively within the movie ‘Saudagar’. Nonetheless, throughout the taking pictures of the movie, they by no means spoke to one another besides of their scenes.
- He was not the primary selection for the 1972 movie Pakeezah. Rajendra Kumar, Sunil Dutt and Dharmendra have been earlier signed for this movie. However they refused.
- He died of throat most cancers on 10 July 1996 on the age of 69.